• Loudoun County, a brief history.

        The following article appears on Loudoun County’s website. The site is full of great information for home buyers and sellers in the area. Whether you live in Sterling or Leesburg, the opportunities in our area are plentiful.

        A brief look at Loudoun:

        Loudoun County is located between Washington, DC, and the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. To the east, Dulles International Airport and commerce thrive; while the western section still maintains its small farms, towns, and villages.

        The Town of Leesburg, the county seat, was once named “George Town” honoring King George II. Leesburg was established in 1758 from land originally held by Lord Fairfax, then renamed for the influential Lee family of Virginia. The town was formed at the crossroads of two Colonial roads, now Routes 7 and 15, and is the seat of government for beautiful Loudoun County. Leesburg is located just 35 miles northwest of Washington DC, at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

        George C. Marshall, architect of the Marshall Plan and former Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense, lived in Leesburg until his death in 1959.

        The Town of Middleburg, located just an hour’s drive west from the nation’s capital, is best known as the capital of Virginia’s famous Hunt Country. The town was so named because it was midway on the Winchester-to-Alexandria trading route known as the Ashby Gap Road, which is now Route 50. Serving as a host community for more than 250 years, it is no surprise that Middleburg has developed such a high concentration of fine inns, shops and restaurants.

        Foxhunting in Virginia began in the Middleburg area around 1748, when Thomas the sixth Lord Fairfax, set up the first pack of foxhounds in the English manner of the order of the present day hunts. Hunting was a casual sport enjoyed by local families until the first hunt, the Piedmont, was organized in 1905. Today there are 10 active hunts in the Hunt Country proper.

        The John Singleton Mosby Heritage Area is remarkable not only for its history and natural beauty, but also because it retains so much of the landscape and landmarks of three centuries of our past. Native Americans followed the buffalo along what is now Route 50, the John S. Mosby Highway. Quakers, Scotch-Irish, Germans, Africans, Tidewater planters — created here a magnificent heritage of architecture and landscape which can teach us vividly about the past.