GREEN Cleaning Secrets Revealed * I bet you don't know all of these!Household Cleaning Secrets
How to open a sealed envelope:
- Place the envelope in the freezer for a few hours away in a plastic bag (to keep it from getting wet). Then slide a knife under the flap. You can even reseal the flap if necessary!
How to remove crayon marks on walls:
- Mix baking soda and water in a small container. Dampen rag and wipe area clean. Crayon marks come off with very little effort!
How to clean off permanent marker on counter tops and appliances:
- Dampen a paper towel or rag with rubbing alcohol and wipe clean.
How to sharpen a pair of scissors:
- Buy a box of S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads. Cut pads in pieces until sharpened.
How to keep clothes smelling fresh out of the dryer:
- Put one fabric soften sheet per drawer in your dresser and clothes will smell fresh for weeks to come! Keep linens and towels smelling fresh for guests by putting a fabric softener sheet in your linen closet.
How to clean artificial flowers:
- In a large paper bag, pour in about 3 Tablespoons of salt. Put flowers in bag and step outside. Hold bag closed at top and shake vigorously. The salt will remove dust particles and leave the flower looking new!
How to remove blood stains on clothes:
- Dampen part of a rag with hydrogen peroxide and wipe off clothes – works every time!
How to keep icy door steps from re-freezing:
- In large bucket, mix warm water and Dawn dish washing liquid. Pour all over steps. The soap will keep the water from re-freezing!
How to remove wax from a glass candle holder:
- Place glass candle holder in the freezer for a few hours then take the candle holder out and turn upside down. The wax will simply fall out!
How to remove burnt food on your skillet:
- Add water enough water to cover burnt food area and a drop of dish soap to pan. Place pan on stove and bring water to a boil. The combination of hot water and soap will make the food easily lift off the skillet.
Tips for cleaning windows:
- Use horizontal strokes when washing windows inside and horizontal strokes when cleaning windows outside to easily know which side has (if any) streaks. Dampen a rag with white vinegar (or put it in a spray bottle) and wipe windows down – they will shine like new!
Keep appliance cords organized:
- Tidy up cords and slide them into an empty toilet paper roll. Use a permanent marker to label what the cords go to.
Give a room a fresh smell every time you walk in:
- Lightly spray the inside of a lamp shade with your favorite scent. Every time you turn on the light, the lovely scent will fill the room. Avoid spraying light bulbs directly. Light bulbs get very hot after being on for long periods of time and some fragrances may be flammable.
Keep candles burning longer:
- Put the candle in the freezer at least 3 hours before burning. This will make the candle burn at a slower rate!
- Unclog a drain: Drop 3 tablets down the drain followed by one cup of vinegar. Wait 5 minutes and run warm water through drain.
- Clean a toilet: Drop 2 tablets in the toilet and wait 20 minutes. Blush and flush – the toilet will be instantly clean again without emitting harmful chemicals into the environment!
- Clean the inside of a vase: Fill vase with warm water and drop 2 tablets into the vase. Wait 10 minutes and rinse.
Cooking & Food Secrets
- Polish jewelry: Fill a glass cup with warm water and drop 2 tablets in along with jewelry. After 2 minutes remove jewelry, rinse, and pat dry with cloth. Lay out jewelry on a small towel to fully dry.
Keep celery fresh for weeks:
- Wrap celery in aluminum foil before putting it in the refrigerator, and it will stay fresh for longer!
Bring out the natural sweetness in corn:
- When boiling corn on the cob on the stove, add a pinch of sugar to enhance the natural sweetness of the corn.
What to do with all that left over wine from a party:
Health Care Tips
- Don’t throw it out! Freeze it in ice cube trays to use in casseroles and sauces for the next time you entertain guests.
Get rid of a headache with no pills:
- Cut a lime in half and rub over your forehead to stop the throbbing.
Stop the itch from Mosquito bites:
- Wash the area with soap and water. The soap will give instant itch relief.
How to safely remove a splinter:
- Put those tweezers down. First grab the scotch tap and tap in line with the splinter. Then pull off opposite direction (similar to waxing), and the splinter should come right out!